Sunday, October 10, 2010

Le Vélo en Rose dans la Ville Rose

So this weekend I didn't end up going to the countryside because the weather there was supposed to be terrible, which it was, so we postponed the trip until next weekend. I think it worked out for the better because I was able to explore Toulouse a bit more this weekend and get some things done such as buying a bicycle! I found this one below at a flea market that takes place every Saturday at a cathedral in the center of town. It's pink (which I think is cute because Toulouse is known as the "ville en rose" since most of the buildings are made of brick with red roofs as well, which gives the city an illusion of being pink hued), it's used, it was 50 euros, and it works. Now I just need to buy a lock because bikes go like hotcakes here, Gisele, my landlady, is on her 8th one I believe. The day I  moved in with her her 8th one was stolen, I hope that's not an omen I'll have bad luck.


I also was able to go to one of the marchés with Gisele which was great because she told me which people she prefers to buy from, who is more expensive, etc. The level of appreciation people here have for food, and preparing meals is wonderful. I find going to the outdoor markets to be one of the most enjoyable parts about being here in Europe, but it is also overwhelming because everyone sells mostly the same thing, I'm not too good yet with the volumes in grams, and there is some food vocabulary that I don't know yet etc. There are a million kinds of breads and cheeses I want to try, but little by little it will come. Gisele and I bought a pumpkin (potimarron) at the market and made a pottage for dinner that night with carrots and onions and potatoes, it was delicious! I also like the idea of only buying a few things at once, and eating them for several consecutive days, then after buying something else, rather than buying a lot and risking wasting some. And because there are outdoor markets everyday one can have the luxury to do that. That manner of shopping, and the time it takes to prepare a fresh meal from scratch, makes you appreciate your meals more, I think.

 View of le Pont Neuf from le Pont St Pierre
 My friends, Bonnie, Michaela, Ketti, and me.
 Muscat grapes that we bought at the market.
Walnuts, Cepes (mushrooms that come from this region and are considered a delicacy), tomatoes and shallots.
 Bonnie, Amy and me out for a drink in town.

That's all for now. It is a rainy Sunday and Gabby, Gisele and I have all just been puttering around the house together. A bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment