Sunday, January 30, 2011

Keep On Smiling

Had kind of a rough weekend: I lost my brand new cell phone Friday night which is a pretty significant bummer. But, instead of enumerating the details of what is sure to be a nightmare of paperwork and fees, I wanted to post a video that I took at the Marché Saint Aubin this morning. It's this great Sunday market that is known to be a bit more "bohemian" than the others around Toulouse. Its a large market that snakes around the Cathedral St. Aubin (hence the name) where all kinds of people gather to pan their wares from your standard produce venders to people manning tables with a few hand knit accessories they've made themselves, to students selling homemade breads and cakes. At the marché St Aubin you have full scale displays, but you also have your 70+ year old man selling a few crates of the turnips, leeks, and potatoes he's grown. Very local. You can find artisan honey, teas & infusions, wine, fabrics from South Africa, jewelry. People do laps in a much more relaxed manner than the other markets I've found here, with a cafe or hot wine in hand and accepting various political flyers in the other, it feels more like a big Sunday block party. Today I bought some grapefruits, avocados, blood oranges, chai tea, and some pumkin, potatoes and leeks to make a soup tonight. My favorite part of the market however, was this guy playing guitar and tamborine who I stopped to watch.











I heard him I turned the corner among the other sounds of the market and I plopped myself on a bench to listen and realized, how can I walk around being bummed about a cell phone when there are such beautiful things around me?

Roses at the marché

Anyway, bonne semaine.

1 comment:

  1. you're so optimistic and cute. love you darling hope the weather is a bit better there than here....

    ReplyDelete