Thursday, September 23, 2010

Paris

"Hopped off the plane at C-D-G"....Anyone? OK, if i can't make corny jokes on my blog where else can I?

So I am currently writing from the upper bunk bed of my hostel in the Quartier Latin of Paris. There may or may not be an open bottle of red wine next to me. What does it feel like to be back? Honestly...nothing special. When I first came to Paris when I studied abroad 2 years ago I was all a-flutter with the magic of Paris and couldn't wait to get out and explore, despite the jet lag. This time when I landed, I felt the same level of excitement as I would if I had just flown to Florida. I was too exhausted and it felt sort of like business as usual. The lack of enthusiasm could have something to do with the ridiculous lines I stood in at the airport, or the 3 hours I waited at Charles de Gaulle for my friend Emma who I had missed, or the 46 euro cab ride I had to take to get to my hostel. I'm not sure.

I finally rendez-vous'd with my amies at the hostel (appropriately names Oops!). It wasn't until that night after we had dined ouside at a cafe, split a bottle of vin rouge, walked up the rue de Mouffetard to have another glass of wine at a table on the street, grabbed a crêpe-nutella on the walk home under the full  moon that I finally had that, OK-I've-arrived feeling.

It is different but nice to be back in a place you have already visited. You don't feel the same pressure to hit all the major museums, parks or landmarks, but there is still ample space to wander and discover something new.

Notably, Emma and I had a phenomenal dinner at a place called L'Ecurie, supposedly started in 1689 in the Latin Quarter. It is tucked away on the corner of a side street. It's dark wood exterior (that looks like it's about to fall down sideways) and candle-lit, tired, lacquered wooden tables out front are extremely inviting in a mysterious way that makes you feel as though you just stumbled upon a gem before you even look at the menu. While we waited a reasonable 15 minutes for a table we were given a complimentary French version of red sangria to sip out on the street in the meantime. The food was incredible, though definitely meat-heavy. They had a "formule" (app, entree, desert) for 17 euros. I ended up with a bleu cheese salad, shrimp (served in-shell and head-on) on a bed of lettuce and roasted tomatoes, and crême caramel for desert. After dinner everyone gets another complimentary digestive which, though nice, I couldn't even finish because of how strong it was. The real surprise however, (which I almost feel one should experience by surprise as I did,) was when I went to use the bathroom at the end of the meal. Remember I said the building has been around since 1689? Original plumbing. More or less.

Today we decided to see the Conciergie (near the Notre Dame where Marie-Antoinette was imprisoned during Revolution), however, it was closed due to the huge city-wide strike over the government wanting to raise the retirement age 2 years from 60 to 62. Oh well. We tried.

Off to dinner, that's all for now! A bientôt.

1 comment:

  1. Linz, I love reading all this. It sounds like such an amazing experience. Stay positive and enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete